Most people want to be happy every day. They try their best to find happiness: when they learn a city is good to live, they would go there if it’s possible; when people say that doing sport makes people happier, many people would do so to make themselves happier; when they read an article saying that being extroverted would make live happier, they would all pretend to be extroverted. However, do you really feel happy when you pretend to be another person who is totally different from you?
Today I want to show you a simple way to make you happy by using the MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) personality assessment. The MBTI assessment is used by more than 2.5 million people a year, and used by 89 of the Fortune 100 companies. Even though a lot of people criticize its accuracy, I find it really makes me analyze myself. At the same time, we can find tons of articles about the relationship between the result of the test and happiness, saying that ESFJ are happiest and ISFP are unhappiest at work, but I will not discuss those things. I will only share with you steps that helped my friends and me be happier:
- Read MBTI basics to make sure that you understand the letters, “E”, “I”, “S”, “N”, “T”, “F”, “J” and “P”, mean.
- By using statements that describe every letter, choose and write down four letters, which are more natural, effortless and comfortable for you, for “Favorite world”, “Information”, “Decisions” and “Structure” to describe your ACTUAL personality.
- Take five minutes to take a rest, and try to forget the description for the letters.
- Do MBTI online. There are a lot of sites proposing the test, so it’s easy for you to find one. Try to find out what you would do in such a situation described by one question.
- Get the test result and compare with the four letters that you get in Step 4.
- Ask yourself which result is more accurate to describe you.
According to my professor, the result that you get from the online test describes who you really were/are, and the result that you estimated yourself before the test is who you are now. If they are totally different from each other, which is my case, it means you try hard to be another person who is totally different from you. Pretending to be anther person would drain you, so that you would feel exhausted and unhappy.
- Ask yourself if it’s really hard to be far away from who you really are, and why two results are different.
- Minimize the work/situations that make you to pretend to be different from yourself, and maximize the work/situations that let you keep your real personalities.
At last, forget what I have said. In fact,
what I really want to tell you is that follow your heart: the only one that can
makes you happy is yourself.